On June 10, 1951, there were sixty men, women, and children who gathered at the VFW Hall on Washington street in Milwaukie, Oregon to worship together for the first time and to lay the foundation for a brand new church. In 1951 Milwaukie was still a rural community of little more than 5,000 residents. However, it was a place that was poised to grow and those gathered wanted to be ready to make an impact for Christ. The church would be known as First Baptist and from the very beginning it was committed to preaching the Bible, reaching people for Jesus Christ, and taking the Good News of God's grace to the ends of the earth.
First Baptist, Milwaukie was always a church on the move. Its first pastor was Virgil Savage, and within five months the church had bought property at 42nd and Monroe; and within five years the church had built a 350-seat worship center for the unthinkable sum of $125,000. In 1965, the church built a yet larger worship center, and in 1996, added an expansive East Ministry Center.
Today, we are known as GracePointe Church. Though the times have changed and styles are different, we are still the same community of faith - standing on the Word of God, looking to the ends of the earth, and reaching our own community with the Good News of God's grace.